It was legally registered as a Common Initiative Group in 2008, with registration number NW/GP/N0 01/08/11739.We are working really hard to improve the lives of people in different communities and are working with local NGO to build long lasting synergies to reach more people and have an impact their lives.
You can volunteer with Goodness and Mercy Missions, no matter your sex, age, or skills. You can just be the help someone needs in the community. Your interaction with rural people will be a wonderful blessing. Living among a people will help you identify their basic needs and possible ways of tackling them.We accept volunteers from all nationalities. Coming to know each other will help us tap resources from our different backgrounds for good. Goodness and Mercy Missions allow volunteers ample opportunities in the development of their own skills.
Although Goodness and Mercy Missions cannot pay the salaries of international volunteers, we make all the necessary arrangements for the safe stay of the volunteer all the while in Cameroon. We provide necessary information and support.
1. Teach at the Baptist college in Acha, Belo. GMM partners with ABCD Cameroon and helps in most of her institutions. Other colleges are requesting GMM to place volunteer teachers in them.
2. Teach at the GMM Elementary school Jinkfuin. GMM has founded an elementary school Jinkfuin for needy and orphan children. This is to provide them a sound nursery and primary education.
3. Work out more sponsorship and scholarship for needy children, some the primary level, some at the secondary.
4. Vocational Training for Young boys and girls. Training in IT skills.
5. Work with several GMM Women Groups towards a sustainable livelihood for women.
6. Youth Mentorship and community health Education.
7. Administration and office work.
8. Work with people with Albinism.
Goodness and Mercy Missions accept International volunteering. The volunteers come and work on the existing projects or introduce new ones that can benefit the community. We also have volunteers who work online with us. A volunteer does not necessary need to come to Cameroon.
Terms, Conditions, and Cost
- Cost of food per week. It is estimated that an international volunteer could spend 5500 Frs. CFA per week, which is about 13 US dollars. This is the highest amount each volunteer could spend on food per week. Sometimes GMM will subsidize with foodstuff.
- Cooking. A volunteer could decide to cook for him or herself. He or she has to buy the kitchen utensils worth 30 000 FRS, gas, gas plate etc, that is about 71 US dollars. If he or she has to employ a cook the payment per month will be 25000 FRS, if it is couple it will be 30000 FRS. 25000 FRS is about 59 US dollars.
- Cleaner. A volunteer, if he or she so wills can employ a cleaner, who cleans the house and surrounding twice a week, washes his or her clothes twice a week at 10 000frs per month.
- Transportation. Weekly transportation’s are worth 3000 FRS, about 7 US dollars. It can also go up to 5000 FRS to 10 000 FRS if the volunteer visits the main town Bamenda, or other towns like Fundong. The transport fare from Belo to Bamenda and back is about 4000 FRS including food money and taxi money. It should be noted that the value of a dollar now with the CFA francs is 420 frs to one dollar.
- Warmth and hospitality of the Kom people in Cameroon. The Kom people in Cameroon are noted for their hospitality and high regard of strangers. It is very common to hear someone say, “My foreigner”. It is a pleasure for the Kom man to be identified with one who has come from a distant land. Volunteers who had been here can better testify. You have to be here in order to appreciate this.
- Talks with the prospective volunteer. One opting to volunteer with GMM will have a wonderful time chatting and communicating with the GMM office in order to set things in order. Most of the information above can be better explained when the said prospective volunteer starts communicating with the office.
- Trips, Excursions. A GMM field worker will always take the volunteer around to spectacular sites the volunteer will want to visit. There is the Ijim Mountain Forest just a few miles from Belo, the famous lake Oku, Caves, Traditional compounds that still retain traditional houses made of bamboo, The Laikom palace with wonderful things of antiquity, the hilly country of Kom, etc.
Our generous sponsors (Thank you all)
Christina, George, Kate and Susan (UK)
Erin, Paul, Mary and Anqi (USA)
Cathryn, Gabey, Elly, Vanessa and Myra (Holland)
Our hardworking volunteers
Erin, Paul P. and Paul S. (USA)
Gabey (The Netherlands)
Md Abdul (Bangladesh)
Thank you all a million times!